Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Identity crisis, or something

Chloe is going to kindergarten this fall. Do I really need to say more?! I have to admit that I'm struggling with it, more than I anticipated. It seems harder this time around then with the boys. It's not that I'll miss her more, or that I love her more. I guess it's just the fact that she's a girl. And it could be that I've been less than thrilled with the elementary school. (one bad apple really can spoil the whole bunch!!) It could also be that I've stayed at home with at least one of the kids for the past 12.5 years. It could be a lot of things.
I still can't believe that I'm that close to having all three kids in school. Everyone keeps asking me what I'm going to do when they're all in school. I have no idea, although, one time I answered and said, "sleep." That might happen from time to time, but even that would get old. I've never been really interested in having a career, not since high school anyway, but there are many things that I would love to learn. I also don't think that just because my kids are in school, that my job is done. In many ways, it's only beginning. I remember when I was in school, and there were many times that it was comforting to me that Mom was available, even in high school.
So, where does all that leave me? I do not know. I guess I'll figure it out when the time comes.

8 comments:

Mindy said...

When both Chris and I were working full time, it was always a goal for us to be in a position when Hannah went to school, that one of us would be home when school let out and completely available.

I think you are right, the job is just beginning (this is the opinion of someone who has no children in school so take it for what it is worth. :-) )

Also, as for what you will do .... I think Asst Teach at SDS is calling your name! he he!

Carrie Sparks McClain said...

Libby, the best people to relate to would be your energetic sister and sweet mother. They have always stayed busy even with kids in school. I honestly think that my mother found more to do when I left for college than she did when I was in high school. You will be just fine and so will Chloe. Then at the end of the day, she will come running in the door to tell you all about her day and you will know that she has been thinking of you. Enjoy the summer with your family and rest easy about Chloe starting school. Look at it as a new adventure for all of you!

Dad said...

Libby,
Your Mom is gonna cry when she reads you blog... I did (yours & Renee's both). How really unusual that you both had the same sort of thoughts. But heart warming.
Ole Dad

Mom said...

No one tells us when we decide to have a child that we are starting a life long career. Even if you choose to do some other job, you are and always will be a mommy first! The night before you started kindergarten, I set up all night and asked God why. The next day I called my Mom and cried on her shoulder; with her experience of having a child who couldn't start school at the proper age she said, "Janice, get down on your knees and thank God that Elizabeth it healthy enough to go to achool." You will cry; Chloe will ask you to please leave; and you will survive to continue to watch your children grow and mature. I have you in my prayers always knowing the trials and the happy times you have ahead of you.
Love,
Mom
Sorry about the epistle.

Renee said...

you'll just be really glad when the kids get sick ONLY because you won't be alone all day. :)

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

remember...you can ALWAYS keep mine when you have an identity crisis. just let me know. ;)

lance said...

3 words. mixed. martial. arts.

you could kick some serious rear.

Dwelling said...

Elizabeth,
That was me this year, with Macy going off to kindergarten and me getting used to the quiet after 11 years of noise. For the first half of the year, I kind of wandered around all day and kept my house really clean! But you'll find your groove, and love having your days, and LOVE being available to your kids when they're sick or have a field trip or doctor's appointment. You can do it - and I KNOW Miss Chloe can do it!
KELLI